A smart meter in flames

First published August 14, 2015 at 6:51 p.m.

A fire in a smart meter could have serious consequences earlier this week Farhnam in the Eastern Townships. According to firefighters, it is almost that the house is on fire.

The fire caused damage to electrical installations. Fortunately, the coating of the building was brick which prevented the flames from spreading.

If the house was made of another material, the damage could have been much worse.

Firefighters Farnham had never had to answer a fire like this.

“In 34 years, I’ve never had an electrical fire base like that,” says Director of Fire Services, Mario Nareau.

A worrying situation when no fewer than 3.4 million smart meters have been installed in the province.

Hydro-Québec reaffirms that its facilities are not involved.


“In all cases, the fire services have concluded that the fires were linked to the electrical installations in homes, that is to say the bases, because there was damage to these facilities,” says Serge Abergel, spokesman for Hydro Quebec.



(Credit: VAT News)


The corporation encourages its subscribers to verify the bases every five years. In addition, Hydro advised to consult the website for details.

“Hydro-Québec defends itself by saying that it Is the owner’s responsibility to ensure that the connection or the base is quality, but there is no one who knows that enough. When they came to change the meter, they should suggest or recommend the owner to verify its base, “adds Nareau.

Because of the risk of fire, Ontario decided to withdraw 5,400 meters and Saskatchewan 105 000. However, Hydro says that in his case, different technology.