Nov 1, 2019

Posting for a friend …Please be aware…

I’m posting this to educate others of the potential damage a Fitbit watch could have on you or your family.

On Wednesday night, I was sleeping when I woke up in a panic to my wrist burning. I quickly realised my Fitbit was burning up so I tried frantically to get it off. With a few failed attempts, I jumped out of bed and turned the light on where my wife was able to unlatch the band on my Fitbit. It felt like it melted through my arm. There was smoke coming out of the Fitbit battery and our bedroom smelled like an electrical fire. We called a nurse to see if we should be seen and she told us we needed to go to the ER since the wound was white and already blistering. At the ER they cleaned out the wound, took x-rays to make sure no debris remained in my arm and then referred me to a wound clinic. When I was seen at the wound clinic, they informed me it was a 3rd degree burn. At my follow-up appointment they will determine if I need a skin graft.

I do not have feeling in parts of my wrist due to nerve damage and I will have a large scar that will be with me the rest of my life. This was a traumatic experience and I hope no one else has to go through it. So, if you own a Fitbit, please reconsider using it. Please share.

 




 




 

0